Functional Programming Research Group at Chalmers
- 2016-10-01: Three new student research assistants (amanuens) start in the GRACeFUL project: Sólrún Einarsdóttir, Oskar Abrahamsson, Björn Norgren.
- 2016-09-16: From 2017 the FP research group will become a division. The process for appointing a new head of division is ongoing.
- 2016-06-01: Maximilian Algehed starts as a Student research assistant (amanuens) in the GRACeFUL project
Success stories and expertise
- the influential testing framework QuickCheck (for Haskell and Erlang)
- the award-winning MiniSat SAT-solver
- the award winning Paradox model finder
- the programming language Haskell (part of the language development, compilation, libraries, tools)
- development of generic functional programming (polytypic programming)
- domain specific languages (Lava, Wired, QuickCheck, Feldspar, ...)
- John Hughes, Mary Sheeran, Patrik Jansson, Koen Lindström Claessen, Alejandro Russo, Johan Nordlander
- Moa Johansson
- Michał Pałka, Nick Smallbone, Joel Svensson, Ann Lillieström, Anders Persson, Jonas Duregård, Nikita Frolov, Dan Rosén, Anton Ekblad, Inari Listenmaa, Irene Lobo Valbuena, Maximilian Algehed, Alex Gerdes
Other local FP people
- Aarne Ranta (Prof.), Ulf Norell, Nils Anders Danielsson
- Emil Axelsson, Josef Svenningsson, Meng WangJean-Philippe Bernardy, Ramona Enache, Lennart Augustsson, Johan Jeuring, Wouter Swierstra, Karol Ostrovsky, Gábor Páli, Niklas Sörensson, Cláudio Amaral, Björn von Sydow, Magnus Björk
- PROWESS - PROperty-based testing for Web ServiceS (EU 2012-2015) John Derrick (Sheffield), John Hughes and several others
- Strongly Typed Libraries for Programs and Proofs (Patrik Jansson & Jean-Philippe Bernardy 2012-2014),
- A functional programming approach to hardware acceleration of algorithms" (Mary Sheeran, 2012-2014)
- SecOpen: Securing open development platforms (Alejandro Russo, 2012-2015)
- RAWFP - (RAW)FPworktalks meetings on Thursdays 10-12 (followed by FP-lunch 12-13)
- Global Systems Dynamics and Policy, (EU 2010-2013)
- "Putting Functional Programming to Work - Software Design and Verification using Domain Specific Languages" (VR 2009-2012)
- "Domain Specific Language for Real-Time Embedded Software" - A. Persson at Ericsson (VR 2010-2013)
- ProTest - Property-based Testing (EU 2007-2011)
- Feldspar - Domain-specific language for digital signal processing
- J. Hughes: Language terms as test data for property-based testing (VR 2009-2011)
- Not very active at the moment:
- FP Weekly Meeting, FP mailing list
- Wikipedia:Functional Programming
- Chalmers FP Workshop 2009, Chalmers FP Workshop 2010
Other FP-related research groups / projects
- Chalmers: Programming Logic, Language Technology
- Nottingham: Functional Programming Laboratory
- KTH: ForSyDe
- FP.Courses including MSc thesis proposals
- Old page: http://www.cs.chalmers.se/Cs/Research/Functional/
- Hac4: the fourth Haskell Hackathon was at Chalmers on Apr 11-13, 2008.
- 2015-08-01: Irene Lobo Valbuena starts as a PhD student working in the GRACeFUL project with Patrik Jansson
- 2015-03-16: New MSc Thesis page
- 2014-12-01: Alex Gerdes and Tobias Gedell join the PROWESS project for half a year.
- 2014-10-01: Irene Lobo Valbuena and Simon Pfreundschuh start as "Amanuens" at 20% each on the "Implementation of finite element exterior calculus in a functional programming language" (functional-feec) project.
- 2014-09-01/2014-11-15: Benjamin Pierce is at Chalmers as "Jubilee professor".
- 2014-08-31/2014-09-06: ICFP 2014 in Gothenburg
- 2014-07-01: Markus Aronsson starts as ProjAss in the RAWFP project. Will be PhD student with Mary from 2014-10-01
- 2014-04-29/02: Idris Developers' Meeting
- 2014-02-01: PhD student position in Functional Programming (application deadline 2014-03-31)
- 2013-11-01: Ramona Enache starts as PostDoc in the FP group (in the REMU project)
- 2013-09-12: Talk from our Ericsson colleagues David Engdal and Martin Lundqvist about programming challenges and open research questions in baseband signal processing on the Adapteva platform ( slides, pdf)
- 2013-09-01: Inari Listenmaa starts as a PhD student in the FP group (working with Koen and Ramona in the REMU project)
- 2013-08-01: Cezar Ionescu starts as PostDoc in the FP group (working with Patrik in the StrongLib project)
- 2013-04-01: Johan Nordlander starts (as guest researcher, at 30%, Apr-Dec 2013) in the RAWFP project.
- 2013-04-01: Anton Ekblad starts his PhD studies in the RAWFP project.
- 2013-02-25/2013-03-01: Visit by Jurriaan Hage from Utrecht (hosted by Meng Wang)
- 2013-01-28/2013-02-01: Visit by Cezar Ionescu (hosted by Patrik Jansson) as part of the GSDP project
- 2013-01-21: Start of the AFP course
- 2013-01-01: Dan Rosén starts his PhD studies in the RAWFP project.
- 2012-12-15: Kazutaka Matsuda + Meng Wang: FliPpr: A Prettier Invertible Printing System to appear in ESOP 2013.
- 2012-12-10/12: Visit by Geoffrey Mainland from MSR Cambridge Wed to Fri. Contact Mary if you want to set up a meeting.
- 2012-12-03/7: Scala course for doctoral students (and anyone interested).
- 2012-11-30: C. Ionescu + P. Jansson: Testing versus proving in climate impact research published in TYPES2011 post-proceedings.
- 2012-11-30: Jonas Duregård's defended his lic. thesis
- 2012-11-28/30: Andy Gill (discussion leader for Jonas Duregård's lic) is visiting the FP group Wed-Fri. Contact Jonas if you want to set up a meeting.
- 2012-11-21: The FP group announces two PhD positions - deadline 2012-12-12.
- 2012-09-12: This year we've got a whole session at the Haskell Symposium: Testing Type Class Laws, Feat: Functional Enumeration of Algebraic Types, Shrinking and showing functions: (functional pearl)
- 2012-09-11: Long-term planning: ICFP 2014 will be in Gothenburg! (Decision by the ICFP steering committee today.)
- 2012-08-06: Kazutaka Matsuda is visiting until end of September.
- 2012-05-25: Norman Ramsey is visiting through July 2012
- 2012-03-12: Mary Sheeran and John Hughes teach a new course on Parallell Functional Programming
- 2011-07-01: Haskell Symposium paper accepted: "Embedded Parser Generators", Jonas Duregård and Patrik Jansson
- 2011-06-21: ICFP paper accepted: "Incremental Updates for Efficient Bidirectional Transformations", Meng Wang (Chalmers) and Jeremy Gibbons and Nicolas Wu (Oxford)
- 2011-06-17: The RAWFP project announces a PhD position in Functional Programming with application deadline 2011-09-01
- 2011-06-16/17: Domain Specific Languages for Economical and Environmental Modelling (DSL4EE) workshop (org. by Jansson)
- 2011-06-07: Jean-Philippe Bernardy defended his PhD thesis on Parametricity
- 2011-04-12: RAWFP application granted with 25M SEK (5M SEK / year for five years)
- 2011-03-01: We welcome Meng Wang (PhD from Oxford, 2011) as a new PostDoc in the FP group!
- 2010-11-24: RAWFP application submitted to the SSF Software Intensive Systems call
- 2010-11-08: Application deadline for an FP PostDoc position with John Hughes.
- 2010-09-16 Welcome back Walid! seminar
- 2010-09-01: We welcome Alejandro Russo (one of the 10 applicants) as the new Assistant Professor in the FP group!
- 2010-09-01: Johan Nordlander will come to work half-time in the FP group during the autumn 2010.
- 2010-08-16: We welcome Jonas Duregård as a new PhD student in the Putting FP to work using DSLs project.