Plans for 2014
Work page for the ST division planning for 2014 (and onwards).
The more detailed material is collected in the ST git repository in subdirectory ST/VP.
Timeline for the ST division:
- 2013-10-02: First draft of the 2014 budget sheet. Div. head meeting with economy admin + HR. (Patrik + Eva L + Gunilla D)
- 2013-10-16: Division dialogue with the department steering group. Patrik + Andrei + Gerardo representing ST.
- 2013-10-18: Almost final draft of the budget
- 2013-10-24: Last day for Patrik to change the budget.
- 2013-10-28: Budget fixed. Changes after this will be in the "prognosis".
- (2013-11-04: VR decisions - a bit unfortunate that this is after the deadline. We will need to guess.)
2013-10-09: Prel. faculty funding decided: ST gets 6132kSEK in total for 2014
525 kSEK at University of Gothenburg (GeSc, PhPh, InLi, JoCa) 5607 kSEK at Chalmers divided into: 2996 kSEK = 15.3 "Teachers with a PhD degree (from Ass.Prof upwards)" (in 2013) 1520 kSEK = 10.0 "PhD degree equivalents" (last five years) 1091 kSEK = 16.9M SEK External funding (average 2010-2012)
Factors at Chalmers:
- 196kSEK/"Teacher with a PhD"
- FM 1.5 ~= 300k
- FP 8.5 ~= 1700kSEK
- PS 3 ~= 600kSEK
- Te 2.75~= 350kSEK
- 152kSEK/"PhD degree"
- 65kSEK/"1M SEK external funding"
Money at GU
- 525kSEK for 2014
- Chalmers "PVU 2014-2018" (English version will be available in August)
- More details about subgoals and key indicators (including measurements)
Activity planning (VP) dialogue for divisions (at the CSE dept. Chalmers and GU)
In preparation of the dialogue please consider the following questions, and no later than two days before the meeting send an email to the head of department with answers to the questions. Note: No forms need to be filled in before the VP dialogue (this will be done in late October).
Follow-up of VP 2013-2017 (including impact on 2014-2018)
1. Important action points
- What action points remain?
- What are the reasons that they remain and what are (or will be) the consequences?
2. External context and strategies
- Will something change from 2013 to 2014 that will affect the division? Describe effects or consequences.
- What does the division consider to be the CSE department's most important questions or goals for the coming five years (with priorities)?
2. Trends and the world around us
- Should new or existing research areas be developed? If so, what possibilities for funding exist for these areas?
- Comment on the long-≠‐term funding outlook (5 years). What are the important funding sources?
- Is there a need for strategic funding from the department? If so, please state the purpose and motivate what the department will gain from it.
- Are there research areas that will, or needs to, be discontinued? If so, will this lead to reduction of staff or require competence development?
- What is the divisionís involvement with the Areas of Advance at Chalmers? Describe current participation as well as intentions for future participation.
- What is the divisionís involvement with centres at Chalmers? Describe current participation as well as intentions for future participation.
- What is the divisionís contribution to society (ĒsamhšllsnyttanĒ)?
3. Personnel and capabilities
- Estimate how the personnel will develop quantitatively over time (that is, increase, be constant or decrease compared to today). If possible, give estimations with respect to senior staff and doctoral students, and whether recruitments need to be done internationally or nationally.
- Is there a need at the division to employ ďfull-≠‐timeĒ teachers (>75% teaching)?
- What is the divisionís strategy for recruiting more female researchers?
- Specify which employees will be up for promotion in a short-≠‐term (in accordance to Chalmersí guidelines for the VP documents) and long-term perspective. Also indicate whether an employee that is up for promotion needs support from the department (e.g. extra time to take courses, write pedagogical portfolio and promotion application).
4. Outstanding internal environment
- Describe the divisionís strategy for promoting an outstanding internal environment.
- How many of the divisionís employees (primarily permanent staff and assistant professors) have participated so far in the departmentís Employeeship project (ĒMedarbetarskapsprojektĒ)?
- How many of the divisionís main supervisors in doctoral education have participated in Handledarforum?
- If there are employees (primarily permanent staff and assistant professors) that have not yet participated in the Employeeship project or Handledarforum, describe the divisionís plan to rectify this within the next 12-month period.
- What is the quality (in terms of course evaluation grades) of the courses at bachelorís and masterís level for which the division is responsible? Is there any on-≠‐going quality improvement work at the division to rectify possible shortcomings?
- What is the quality of the research produced at the division? How is the quality assessed? Is there any on-≠‐going quality improvement work at the division to rectify possible shortcomings?
6. Administrative support
- What are the divisionís experiences regarding the administrative support provided by the department (list positive and negative experiences)?
- Is there a need at the division for additional administrative support?
7. Office availability
- What is the divisionís view on the decreasing availability of offices at our campuses?
- How can the division contribute to make more office space available?
- Is the division willing to move to other premises?
- Are the divisionís employees willing to downsize (i.e. move to smaller offices)?
8. Chalmersí Employee Survey
- What is the divisionís view on the result from Chalmersí employee survey conducted in June 2013?
- What actions will the division take to address problems relating to the division?
- 2013-06-10: Chalmers central 5-year plan decided
- 2013-09-03: Prel. version of the rest of the planning instructions from Chalmers centrally (incl. research faculty funding)
- 2013-10-01: Completed version of planning instructions (incl. education funding)
- 2013-10/11: VP-dialog 2 between department and Chalmers centrally
- 2013-11-15: CSE dept. submits the VP 2014-2018 (incl. plans for recruitment, promotions, etc.)
- 2013-12-17: Chalmers central decision about new positions for 2014 (for promotions and recruitment)
- 2014-03/04: VP-dialog 1 between department and Chalmers centrally
- 2013-09-10: Prel. income budget from the faculty level to the CSE dept.
- 2013-09-19: Comments back to the faculty level
- 2013-10-01: Completed version of planning instructions (incl. income budget for research & education and OH costs)
- 2013-11-22: Deadline to submit CSE dept. budget, personell plan, etc. to the faculty level